Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Homemade Solution to a Card Storage Problem

Since my wife lost her job about two months ago, we have been strapped for cash and are always on the lookout for cost cutting measures. One day I was going to the post office and saw the local card shop a block from my office. I thought to myself that I should stop in and look for some card storage boxes.

About 3 years ago, my cards underwent a collector’s worst nightmare due to a faulty hot water heater in the apartment above mine. Without going too much into a future “horror” post, I ended up losing three of my 3200 count boxes to water damage. Thankfully, mainly the boxes took the brunt of the soaking, and I ended up only losing about 1,000 cards to hot, steamy, wet water. One day, you will cringe at this story and from the pictures…


Anyways, I hopped into the local card shop and asked for 3200 count boxes. “Four dollars per box.” he says. My first thought was no way could that be right. So, I smiled, milled around, made some small talk, and then bolted for the door like Vince Coleman on greenies. I know times have to be tough on brick and mortar card shops, but I just cannot fathom paying $4 for a cardboard box, especially when my family is scraping by.


Next I turned to the trusty internet for all my shopping needs. I figured I had to be able to find prices better than $4, and I did, but not by much. I found 3200 count boxes for $2.75 to $3.50 each, but then you’ve got to tack on S&H. I was able to locate the desired boxes for around $1.25 each, but you had to buy at least 25 of them. Ugh.


Tired of having my hot water heater rescued cards stacked vertically in moving boxes, I had to come up with a solution, and then it dawned on me. Right in front of me at work was the answer to my cheapskate prayers. Every office has them, and usually they are cast aside to the dump or recycling bin. Paper boxes!


Why hadn’t I thought of this before? They are sturdy, tough and have lids, but they are a tad oversized. So, I grabbed a box cutter and lopped off the upper portion, leaving a 4.5-inch deep box, with a 3-inch deep lid. Using the lopped off portion, I created row partitions.

Here are some shots of the handiwork:

Look familiar?

The rescued cards have a new home!

Not bad for free. Each box holds six 600 count rows for a total of 3,600 cards. So, if times are tight in your house, create your own card boxes and save yourself some cash (to spend on more cards!).

3 comments:

chris OK said...

Very nice, thanks for a very creative and practical idea.

Matt Runyon said...

good idea :)

night owl said...

Our paper at work is wrapped and sealed in more paper. No boxes. :(

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...