Monday, September 21, 2009

To Keep a Set or To Break a Set

Is that the question?

A few years ago, thanks to my father and his retirement hobby of perusing Floridian garage sales, I came in to possession of a complete set of 1980 Topps Super. The 5 x 7 cards are in excellent shape (i.e., NR-MINT to all you Buckett-ers) and it came with a not so near mint original display box.

Anyways, I am not one to have odd ball cards (especially non-standard size), and these cards have sat idly in a closet since I received them, and currently, they reside in my nightstand. Where don't I have cards stashed?

So, after reviewing some want lists, I noticed that a few people are actually on the lookout for these cards (i.e., Olan Mills portraits). Now, here is the big question. Do I keep a set that I do not care about, or do I break the set to help others complete their collections? It seems almost unholy to break a set (not that it shouldn't be to me because I unknowlingly broke both a 1984 Milton Bradley and a 1984 Drakes set when I shipped some cards off to Night Owl - don't worry, their yours!).

I guess I'm just looking for some popular opinion on the subject.

Should I keep the set intact with the box, or disperse these monstrosities across the nation?

5 comments:

Matt Runyon said...

You tempt me by one of those choices in the poll. Under normal circumstances I'd say keep the set together (I'm a set collector). But if it's a set you don't care about, then break the thing up and use the cards as trade bait.

I had these cards all over my bedroom wall that year.

BrerSkwerl said...

Break it up... I agree w/MattR, if you don't care about the set, then use it to get what you care about... A set only has value as a set if you wanted to get it as a set... And right now, it sounds like Topps is defining what makes it a set. I mean, it'd be like me with my UVA set, a set is what you make it...

Captain Canuck said...

yeah, I'm a set collector, so I would tend to keep it together.
But if you don't care.... then break it up. Or do what I would do and ship the whole thing off to someone and avoid the decision altogether.........

Collective Troll said...

My rule of thumb is always that if I don't care about a set, I get it in the hands of someone who does. That frees up more space in my closet, on my nightstand and on the kitchen table for the cards I do like. I had those cards as a happy 8 year old. I still have a few of them left and they all have pin holes all over them from hanging them on my wall. Sounds like MattR did the same thing. I did a player of the week kind of thing (my opinion) and rotated them. Mike Schmidt had a TON of pin holes in him!

Paul P said...

Good question. I'm not sure.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...