Thursday, April 15, 2010

Opening Day - Minor League Style

After going through a drought in 2009, where I had neither the time nor money to attend a baseball game (save for a UVA @ UNC game my bud Plungerhoo took me to), I am heading to the ballpark tonight.

While in Florida back in March, I was fortunate enough to go to the Baltimore Orioles facility in Sarasota, and watch them play a spring training night game against the Pittsburgh Pirates.  The weather was nasty cold and the game was not like the 1971 World Series.  I could tell then and there the O's were bad.  So bad, the Pirates looked good.  The only Oriole bright spot is Adam Jones.  That kid is awesome, and I hope Wieters blossoms into an awesome C.

Anyways, the game was ho-hum, but my son had a great time!  Just look at that smile.  He cheered for every pitch, for every batter and every run scored.  Jersey colors meant nothing to him.  It was about BASE-BALL, as he says it.


As an aside, while I was less than 10 miles from the scene of The Collective Troll's horrible break-in incident, and I have the ticket stub to prove I was at the ballgame, not stealing 1950s Bowmans!

So tonight is opening night for the Durham Bulls.  I haven't been to a Bulls game since August of 2008, so I'm excited to see the new left field construction.  Having lived in Durham for several years, I ended up becoming a fan of the Rays since 2001.  It was awesome to see all the talent they have now come through Durham.

Now I live out towards the Carolina Mudcats, who are the AA affiliate of the Reds, yet I just can't bring myself to be a fan of another NL team.  Padres forever, and occasionally Pad-Rays.

The Reds situation may change, as my brother-in-law's cousin pitches in the Reds organization for the AA Lynchburg Hillcats.  I'll post more on that later, as I'm waiting for my BIL to return from Afghanistan later this month.  Even non-baseball players have jinxes to worry about.

Eventually, I will also be treated by the Plungerhoo to a minor league game of my choice, since I "trounced" him in a one-on-one NCAA tournament challenge, where the winner got to pick the game and the loser buys.  I picked an Albuquerque Isotopes game, but then I found out travel wasn't included, nor was a week long stay in Chaco Canyon.

I guess I'll have to settle for a Kinston Indians, or enjoy a Coastal Plain League Wilson Tobs or Outerbanks Daredevils game.

Baseball is everywhere if you just take the time to look.  Play ball!

4 comments:

BrerSkwerl said...

Man, I was afraid that since I didn't specify, that travel would have been included! ;) It would have had to be a just a bro trip, though, since I only made the bet with you, and I think your family would have fussed on that note, not getting to go out West... ;)

But, since you mention da Bulls... And, since the Batsavages are coming to visit you at some point... ;) And, to jump ahead (b/c you know where this is going... ;) ), I know that Batsavage is a Hokie, and I'm a Hoo, and we aren't supposed to be able to enjoy the company of the other's teams, BUT... #1 UVA is playing Duke in the DBAP on the weekend of April 30 - May 2 (one of the weekends I have "free" in May...). and knowing that Batsavage is a big baseball fan, I'd even think he could tolerate watching my team play in a AAA ballpark, just for the experience...

I haven't floated that idea by anyone but you... But, you're going to be one of the most important ones, b/c even if that wasn't "everyone visit" weekend, I'm still likely to try and go see a game there, and if you are interested, I'm inviting you either way, my treat! This doesn't even count as the freebie that I owe ya... ;) (If you say yeah, then I insist on the rest...)

BTW, Aroldis Chapman is in the Reds org also, even though he started at AAA from what I've read... I haven't been able to con a break on all that pitching talent this year, Strasburg is at AA, which bypassed Potomac (@ Kinston...). Maybe they'll both need a re-hab assignment, timed just right... Oh, yeah, I still gotta explain my bobblehead tour to you at some point, but both the Bulls and the Mudcats are involved...

You are right, it is time! I missed out this weekend, I was gonna go to "ballcap day" at K-town, instead choosing to go KayaKing (a different kind of "K", which ironically led to a strike out of another kind...).

"adecoro" - The last name of the next "can't miss", hot young prospect out of the Dominican...

BrerSkwerl said...

Oh, another note, this one is meaningless... I am going to see another college game this weekend, ironically involving the Hoos vs. the Hokies! And, a lax game between UVA/Duke, to bring everything full circle...

"bleryss" - the drunken, blind happiness that I'll experience if UVA wins all of the events I've mentioned on NT's blog...

BrerSkwerl said...

I'm pretty sure that I still owe you a game for that bet... Just so you know, it's not drawing any interest (like a savings account), even though (as I mentioned in a way-previous comment), travel inclusion can be argued... When are you going to cash in?! I've already been to three college games this year (two UVA-ECU, one ECU-St. John's), even coming close to knocking "catching a legit foul ball" off of my bucket list (which I'm doing this year...)!

My idea: Camden Yards (even though my homeboy Reynolds don't play for them anymore...), since you saw the O's in this blarticle...

BrerSkwerl said...

Oops, forgot to continue old traditions... owslyMe 2548 (trademark pending) - the gooey stuff MiLB put on their knees/booboos, after sliding home, and getting tagged out by a C on a sweet relay from the warning track...

Opening Day is coming up quickly!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...