Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Topps Cards That Never Were - 1960 Ted Williams

As promised last week, I am in the midst of releasing a trio of Topps Cards That Never Were for arguably the greatest hitter to ever play the game, Ted Williams.  Previously, I featured a 1959 Topps version of Williams that received little fanfare and was largely ignored.  Oh well, I’m not in it for the adulation.

This week is a 1960 Topps card representing Williams’ 1959 season, the one and only season he hit under .300!  The release of this card is also special because it is my Dad’s birthday, and Ted Williams was his favorite player.  So what better gift than to present a 1960 Topps Williams’ card that never was?  Enjoy!


I enjoyed making this card.  Adding the black and white photograph was fun, and I like the approach I took of showing his number instead of his face like most 1960 Topps cards.  The number nine is synonymous with Ted Williams and it should be shown on a card!  The lettering did give me fits.  I was almost done when I realized I had the black/red alternating sequence messed up.  Oops.

As always, let me know if you have any requests, and I’ll start working on a card for you.  I have one more Williams to show, and a request for a 1972 Topps Fisk RC.

1 comment:

baseballbrent said...

Very nice. This card looks like it could have been in the 1960 set. The 1959 picture doesn't look right.

Keep it up, I love these cards that never were or should have been.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...