Thursday, February 28, 2013

Thirty Days Late and Two Dollars Shorter

I am not a trailblazer.  I realize that I'm about 30 days behind the curve when it comes to posting anything about 2013 Topps, but that's just the way I roll.  In my house, I'm still exploring the wonders of a PlayStation 2.  Heck, I'm content playing my Civilization II game from 1996, in lieu of newer, higher resolution releases.  It's just the way I am.

Why be the one to spend a whole lot of money now on the newest product, when you can spend a lot less on the older models that are new to you?  Also, I think I learned my lesson with the 2011 Topps release because I took the Diamond Giveaway promotion hook, line and sinker.  I probably bought about seven blasters and untold packs just to get Giveaway Codes, and I'm no where near completing that set.  Which is why in 2012, I didn't buy a single pack, and just bought the complete set when it was 30% off.  Savings.

All of this brings me to 2013, and I had made a resolution to not purchase any packs this year and not buy the set.  My goal for 2013 Topps is to complete the set entirely via trades.  I've had some generous offers that included trading me the complete Series 1, but I respectfully turned them down.  You see, I want to collate a set entirely via trades.  It just seems like more fun than to have it generously plopped in your lap.  Crazy?  Maybe.

Well, my plans were derailed a tad last week when I had to make a milk run to the The Wal-Mart.  I am waiting on a couple of trade packages from some great bloggers that include some 2013 Topps packs, but I still felt the urge that night.  I intentionally parked at the "other" entrance, you know, the one on the opposite side of the card aisle in a feeble attempt to avoid temptation.  When I walked in the store, my brain immediately said, "You need to go to the bathroom", which is perilously close to the card aisle.

Well, I think my brain was subconsciously telling me to check out the cards, and I ended up grabbing just one pack of 2013 Topps...and some milk.  So, one month after everyone has done their pack posts, here goes mine...



Ugh, a Giant is my first card of 2013, but that 1972 Ted Williams mini saved the pack.  What an awesome card!  Now all I need to land is the Tony Gwynn mini!!

3 comments:

BrerSkwerl said...

Did I forget to tell you that I had the Gwynn-ni...? If you don't want me to just give it to you, as payback for previous gifts, then I'll gladly take another Wahoo off your hands... (DUCK FUKE!!!)

BrerSkwerl said...

OR, I would trade the Mi-Gwynn-ni for any help/advice that you or your wife might be able to add to my knowledge base about well construction and land application, so that I can sound mo' smarter IF I get an interview...

BrerSkwerl said...

Pretty potent fantasy baseball pitching staff, though...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...