Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Topps Cards That Never Were - 1961 Ted Williams

Just like the original Star Wars Trilogy, it’s time to complete the Ted Williams’ Cards that Never Were Saga with his 1961 Topps release.

As I mentioned before, Williams had an exclusive contract with Fleer in 1959, 1960 and 1961, so the collecting world was denied these Topps cards.  That is why I’ve created my own version of his 1959 Topps (ok), his 1960 Topps (much better) and finally his 1961 Topps card...


I will be honest and say that I absolutely love this card.  Granted, I nabbed the photo from Ted Williams’ The Science of Hitting book, but I think it fits perfectly with the 1961 Topps set.  The photo is grainy, the color is washed out, and Williams is obviously at the end of his career.  It all fits.  

I can almost see this card stuck in the rear spokes of a kid's bike. It even has dinged corners and a printing smudge on the 'W' in Williams.  Man, I LOVE this card, even though it only exists in the ether.

I hope you enjoyed viewing the Williams Trilogy, but even if you didn’t, it was a blast to make and I am very happy with the finished product.

Doc

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...