Monday, March 4, 2013

Background Noise - 1990 Fleer Update Dave Hansen

This morning I sorted a 1990 Fleer Update box. I thought it was incomplete because the cards were terribly out of order, but after making a quick sort of 132 cards, I found that it was complete! There is nothing quite like finding a complete set in your collection and you didn’t even know it was there. Now if I could only find a complete 1956 Topps set in my collection, instead of a 1990 Fleer Update. Oh well, I guess this bumps me up to completing four sets in 2013… 


As I was going through the cards, I noticed this Dave Hansen card. There was nothing terribly spectacular, until I started checking out the background. What first caught my eye was Dodger’s 3B Coach Joey Amalfitano strutting in the background. Always cool to find a coach in the background, but what was even cooler was finding the bat boy.

Look just left of Hansen’s right forearm and you’ll see him. I bet that bat boy knew exactly what he was doing when he positioned himself in the background… "I’m going to get on a baseball card!” Well, he most certainly did make it onto a baseball card, although he looks like Eddie Gaedel

The kid is pretty blurry, but his uniform appears to be for the White Sox. The other two choices were the Angels and Indians, but they played in the Cactus League. So, this shot is before a Dodgers-White Sox Grapefruit League game before the 1990 season. A little research showed that this is Ed Smith Stadium in Sarasota, Florida. I was originally thrown when I saw the pictures because I’ve been to Ed Smith stadium… 

But apparently the park has had a few renovations over the years, with a major one in 2011.  Anyways, good job kid, you made it on a baseball card!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...