Monday, March 11, 2013

Trading Post - Carl Crawford Cards

I typically do not write trading posts.  I figure that no one really wants to see what cards have exchanged hands, and since I plug my trade-partners blog name 24/7 on the right-hand side of your screen, I don't feel any sort of guilt.  My only exceptions are: (1) the trader requests that I make a post, which is cool with me, and (2) the trade package is so awesome that I about burst out of my skin.  This post falls under Category #2.

Back in February, I made a Trade Bait post for a slew of minor league cards I had accumulated over the years.  Within an hour of posting, Carl Crawford Cards had left a comment wishing he lived closer to me so we could do a face-to-face and exchange cards.  A few emails later, I promised to send him about 3,500 minor league cards using a flat rate box.  CCC seemed genuinely interested in the cards, and that was all I needed to box up the cards and ship'em out.  

In exchange for the minor league cards, I hemmed and hawed as to what I wanted in return.  Eventually we settled on the packs from a blaster.  Then the package started to grow.  CCC wanted to include some trade bait for me to use.  "It's not necessary" I said, but he insisted, and it's not like I can stop him from putting cards in the box.  

Then I posted about needing a few late 80s Donruss cards to complete some sets, and CCC came through with one 1989 Donruss card and two puzzle pieces to complete the set for me.  Thing is, CCC cannibalized his Donruss set to complete my Donruss set.  I don't know if I could do that, but I think that just shows how cool of a blogger/trader/guy CCC is.

Next thing I now, CCC makes an obscure reference to my #9 Wish List Item.  He can't be seriously considering send me a 1952 Topps card, can he?  Well...The package arrived on Saturday.

After a loooong day of 8 hours of driving for a 3 hour lunch at Golden Corral, I came home to find a tidily packaged box in the mail.  I came inside, laid the box down and then went about some chores and getting the kids ready for bed.  Eventually, I snuck downstairs and opened the package.  Inside were the promised blaster packs, and a team bag with some top loaders in it.  On top was the cannibalized 1989 Donruss Dave Smith to complete my set, and beneath that was this...

 
My first 1952 Topps card.  I immediately went into tunnel vision.  The remaining top loaders and packs were left on the kitchen counter, and I blindly walked over to the couch.  I sat down and read every word on the back of the Trucks card.  I flipped it over and studied every detail of Virgil.  1952 Topps are beautiful cards.

I jumped on my tablet and fired off a quick email to CCC, thanking him profusely for the Trucks card.  He replied that he thought I'd like that Trucks double.  Wait, double?  That's like saying "I've got enough gold bars, here you have one of them."  For the rest of the night I completely ignored the rest of the trade package and kept looking at the Trucks card.  I even pulled it out of the top loader just to hold it, and dare say, smell it...

The rest of the trade package and future trade bait will follow...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the kind words, glad the Trucks has a great home!

BrerSkwerl said...

http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/2018901

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/03/caleras_virgil_trucks_was_a_gr.html

Rest in peace, Mr. Trucks...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...