Thursday, March 7, 2013

Cameo Cards - 1984 Fleer Al Holland


While it is not the greatest picture/card in the world, I will never turn down a chance to showcase Tony Gwynn in a cameo card.  What is there not to love about this card if you're a Gwynn or Padres fan?

Sure Gwynn is blurrier than a person viewed through a pair of six-pack beer goggles, but just look at that background.  All that yellow is gloriously mind numbing.  Yellow stirrups.  Yellow wristbands.  Yellow helmet.  Yellow lettering.  Yellow fence line.  Yellow outline to the Padres team logo in center field.  Ah, the old Padres logo.  I sure wish they'd bring this beauty back.  


What I also love about this card is how the outfield grass looks like it's deader than a Jim Bouton knuckleball.  There is no separation between grass, clay and grass.  Awesome card. 

So, if you're a self proclaimed Gwynn Player Collection Completest, run out and buy yourself a 1984 Fleer Al Holland!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Phenomenal card cameo, great work, Uncle Doc!

Unknown said...

Hey Uncle Doc!

It's been a while, and as I get my website/blog back up and running, I'm letting my fellow blogger friends I'm back (after my Google Blogger account was hacked and eventually lost for all time).

I just made my friday, "Friarsday" post, and it's inspired by this post of yours of the great '84 Al Holland Fleer card. I hope you'll check it out.

All the best, Uncle Doc!

Zach,
The Underdog Card Collector

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...