Friday, March 22, 2013

I've Been There - Stadium Review

Just over a week to go before the 2013 MLB season starts, and I am tingly with anticipation.  To quench the nerves, I thought I'd do a brief review of the professional baseball stadiums I have visited over the years.  I can almost hear the Peanut Guy...

Minor League Stadiums


Loeb Stadium - Lafayette, Indiana
Then home of the Rookie League Lafayette Leopards, which gave me something to do on those college summer nights.


Victory Field - Indianapolis, Indiana
Nice park...A good friend of mine used to do play by play there for the Indianapolis Indians...by himself, in the stands, into a tape recorder...


Fifth Third Field - Dayton, Ohio
Drove hours upon hours with my Brother-in-Law to watch his cousin make his debut with the Dayton Dragons.  His cousin did not fare well in that game, but did have some success in the minors...


Grainger Stadium - Kinston, North Carolina
Epic home of the Kinston Indians - great seats, unless a pole was in your way, and they sold pitchers of beer you could take to your seat...


Durham Athletic Park - Durham, North Carolina
Once home to the Durham Bulls, and the shooting location for the movie Bull Durham.  I played a few softball seasons there, and the vibe was tremendous, except for the drive-by-shootings...
 

Durham Bulls Athletic Park - Durham, North Carolina
A beautiful stadium with a great team, but it tries way to hard to be like the bastard love child of Camden Yards and Fenway...


Five County Stadium - Zebulon, North Carolina
Home of the Single A Carolina Mudcats, and my current baseball home.  The seats are literally on top of the field, so a very annoying net encircles the field.  Great place to watch a game though.


Spring Training Stadiums


Ed Smith Stadium - Sarasota, Florida 
Current home of the Baltimore Orioles and the only spring training facility I've ever visited.


Major League Stadiums


Great American Ballpark - Cincinnati, Ohio
I've only been there once, but it is an amazing park.  Wonderful views and just all around fun.  Got to see The Kid play there.  Awesome.


Enron Field - Houston, Texas
Definitely the worst stadium I have ever been in.  It was loud and uncomfortably small.  It was more reminiscent of an old basketball arena than a baseball stadium.  Bring back the Astrodome!
 

The Ballpark at Arlington - Arlington, Texas
I shared a season ticket package here back in 2000.  Sat in the first row of the right field balcony.  It was a great stadium, but unbearably hot.  I saw Tony Gwynn play for the last time here.


Angel Stadium (aka The Halo) - Anaheim, California
My second least favorite stadium.  Always seemed like I was sitting on the right field line facing center field.  Had to twist to watch home plate.


Dodger Stadium (aka Chavez Ravine) - Los Angeles, California
I dare say this is my second favorite stadium.  I love the ushers with their funky paper hats, and there is not a bad seat in the house.  Too bad the parking is absolutely atrocious and the drive home was gridlocked.  
 

Jack Murphy Stadium (aka The Murph) - San Diego, California
My all time favorite stadium that is sadly football only now.  I have zero desire to go to "Petco Park."  I have so many fond memories of The Murph, no other stadium will ever replace it.

2 comments:

Captain Canuck said...

nice post, I love the pictures.

Unknown said...

Grainger Stadium is my home stadium. I am glad you enjoyed your time there. I hate that your home team the Mudcats lost their AA team. I hope you love what was the Kinston Indians, We are trying to get a new club for the 2017 season. Ktown has lost millions of dollars sice our club was forced to move.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...